Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Cicadas, Trees, and the Megatransect

The megatransect part of our tour is going well. We've sampled 20 sites so far. This photo was taken near Site 18 (mile 1,538). Going east across Wyoming trees were not all that abundant down by the road. We could see forests up on the mountains, but we couldn't get to them very easily. So when this little patch of forest came along I was very happy. It was hot and dry when we sampled here and we were getting low on water.

This is a close up of the leaves of the Utah Juniper (Juniperus osteosperma), which was the dominant species in this forest.
This, I believe, is a cicada (genus and species unknown). These insects were flying around and making lots of noise in and about the juniper trees.


And this is me after we finished sampling. The work was done and I was happy to get out of the still heat and back on the bike where there is always a breeze. If you click on this photo you can zoom in see the sunscreen in my beard. I call it my white beard. If you look close, you can also see the top of a coiled up rope. The rope is used to mark the boundaries of each 10-meter by 10-meter module. We sample 6 of these modules and it usually takes about 1-2 hours depending on: how we're feeling, how many new species we have to identify, and what the terrain is like.

No comments: