Friday, May 11, 2007

The Wheels


Our departure is getting closer and there is still more to do. Many of the final preparations revolve around getting the bikes ready. My bike, as well as my sister's bike, both needed new wheels. I decided to build the wheels myself. It was a fun project, and I'm glad I decided to go for it. I learned a lot and I look forward to building more wheels in the future. I built these wheels slowly and carefully and I hope they will be strong and smooth and willing to carry us for many miles.

The first set of wheels you see will be for Janice's bike. The other set (with silver rims) will go on my bike. The rims and hubs are made out of different metals and alloys. The spokes are stainless steel and the nipples are brass. Each wheel has 36 spokes and 36 nipples.

No comments: