Monday, May 14, 2007

Late Night

In 26 hours we will be at the airport waiting for our plane. Janice and I have both been working hard the last couple days, but there is still more to do. My mind and my hands have been busy battling the mighty forces of Entropy, and the battle is not over yet. Will it ever end? Entropy, or the tendency of things to move to a state of disorder, seems to be everywhere. Although the bikes are finally ready, they still need to be boxed. And then there is the matter of packing our bags. My bedroom is just dripping with Entropy and I sometimes feel like I'll never see order or neatness again. But I plod onward. Moving, shifting, rebuilding--compartmentalizing the pieces of my life. The headset bearings that were once dirty are now smooth and packed with fresh grease (I took this photo before I added the grease). It's 2:30 in the morning, and in the quiet of my basement I can feel the tides turning. The smell of victory mixes with the smell of Simple Green. A cup of tea is falling asleep next to me. When the sun comes up old Mr. Entropy will be on his way out of town.

And now, back to work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"a cup of tea is falling asleep next to me." I love the imagery. I can see you in your basement with a grin of anticipation. Thank you Jeff.

-matt