Friday, May 11, 2007

Packing and Preparing, Part 2

On past bicycle tours I have carried juggling balls. I use them to entertain myself as well as other people. I juggled on San Francisco's sidewalks. I juggled in front of supermarkets, in parks, and at parties. I can remember one memorable party back in in Lee Vining, California where I juggled two balls and frying pan. That was a great party, and it was one that I never expected to go to.

The party in Lee Vining happened about a week into 2003's California Bicycle Tour. I was traveling with my brother Chris, my sister Janice, and my good friend Travis. If the four of us would not have gone into the Mono Lake Committee Bookstore, we would not have met Anna and Ariel. And if we didn't meet Anna and Ariel, we probably would not have been invited to the party that was happening at their house. It's funny how some of the best parties are the ones you don't even expect.

Like the ukulele, the balls are a luxury item: something I don't really need. Will I bring them this summer? Probably, but I'm not sure. The balls that are pictured above are simply street hockey balls. I like their weight and the way they juggle. They are also durable and good looking. And yes that is me juggling beside Ring 2 of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Baily Circus.



No comments: