Sunday, June 9, 2013

Notes From Day 16

I’m back on the blog. I logged in to write a few words about today. It’s Day 16, Sunday, June 9. The editing is going well today. I’ve been at it since about 9 in the morning. It’s almost 5 now. I’ve been through 20 pages already. That feels like a solid chunk. And I’m going to rest for a short time and then I’ll probably keep on going. I want to work until it's good and dark.
            I found some new information today. I did some research and found out that the slug I photographed the other day belongs to the genius and species Limax maximus. It's Limax maximus, the great grey slug, also called the leopard slug. You can read more on the Wiki. They live 2.5 to 3 years. That’s pretty good. I would have guessed less.
            During one break today I played a little guitar. I played my new electric. I had the window open. Something about playing in the room with the window open—it gave me an idea for a book: a book about a person who plays guitar at home everyday and people come and sit in his yard and listen. It could be a nice short novel. Or it could be a sort of Roald Dahl kind-of-book. Time goes by. Things happen. A story is born.
            This is how it is with book ideas—the ideas just pop into your head. It seems I usually get a book idea every day or so. Often it comes as a question: You know what might be interesting is if so and so happened?
             Okay, that’s enough for now. I just wanted to write a short little post. My mind needs rest. Maybe some reading, maybe some music. I’ve been listening to “Jessica,” the song by the Allman Brothers. Today “Jessica” has been a fine sunny companion. The version that I’m listening to is a high-quality version from last summer’s Merriweather show. You know about Merriweather, right? Merriweather is one of the great old concert venues in the world . . . . America is full of venues and music festivals. And here we are in early June. Concert season is just getting started. Is everybody in? The music is about to begin.

No comments: