Friday, June 7, 2013

A New Era For My Blog

As many of you know, I started this blog back in 2007, which was the summer that I rode my bike across the country. After my summer travels, I kept the blog going. I tried to make at least one post each month. Some months I posted more, and some months I posted less. In 2012 I didn't post anything, although there were some posts that I started but didn't finish. I always thought I'd go back and finish these posts, but now I've changed my mind.

Now it is time to move forward. Today is a big day for this blog. Starting with this post, I am going to shoot for one post every week or so. Why not? I'm a writer and I love to write. And I'm tired of telling people, "Yes, I have a blog, but it's terribly out of date."

No more of that. Now is the time for freedom. And to be free in your mind you must be honest with yourself. Honesty is very important when it comes to writing. So here we go, here's the truth: In 2012 I posted no posts. But 2012 was a great year of writing. I wrote many books. So what if I didn't put anything on my blog? A person can only do so much. And there's no use beating myself up over what I could have done. This is one of the most important things when you're living the writing life: you must learn to be incredibly kind toward yourself.

Now that I have relieved myself of my past blogging debts, I feel much better. Now I am free to move forward with new posts. New posts! Yes! Some new words for you to read! Ah, it feels good. This post is the first of many that are to come.

Now it is springtime and springtime is a good season for writing (I know I say this about all the seasons). I have lots of projects going right now. I'll get into some of the details later on. Right now I want to write about today, and then I want to post a few photos, and then I'm going to maybe do a little more work and then go to bed. Today is Day 14 of my 100 More Days of Editing. The way this book works is each day I do my editing, and then I write a chapter in my 100 More Days of Editing book. When this book is done, you'll be able to read about my adventures writing and editing. I've come to realize that writing a book really is an adventure. I was talking with Kyle about this last night. Kyle just finished riding his bike across the country for the fourth time (Good Work, my friend). I said to Kyle, "With each book I get the same feeling that I get when I'm on the road." Kyle liked this idea.

Today my writing adventure took me through twenty pages of prose. Twenty pages is a solid day of work, especially considering the rewriting I'm doing. Today, like most days, I was working in the writing room. It rained hard for much of the day, so Marley and I didn't do much walking. Come evening the rain stopped and I took Marley for a walk. When I opened the front door, I was greeted by a giant slug. The slung was climbing up the glass of our storm door. Right then I knew for sure that I was going to write this post. In addition to sharing my new blog mentality, I wanted to share some photos of the slug.

We're really in the heart of springtime here on the East Coast. The East Coast jungleland is in full effect. Green leaves and flowers and green grass and lots of rain and slugs and worms and the humidity. Now for the photos.

Slug photo 1


Slug photo 2


Slug photo 3


Slug photo 4


The van Gogh umbrella I like to use:


The view that Marley and I have at the beginning of our walk:


Down below is the view that Marley and I have on the way back home (notice the fallen branch on the lower right--due to all the wind and rain today). I really like this view because I always think about how I'm walking back toward my writing and this always excites me.



As always, thanks for reading. Have fun and safe travels and keep up the Good Work.

Fondly,
Jeff





No comments: