Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tour Update

Today is Day 14 of the tour. We've traveled 556 miles. The last four days have been rest days here in Jackson. The map below shows where we've traveled. Today we head west, to begin our journey across Idaho. After Idaho, our plan is to go down through Nevada and into California, with Yosemite Valley as our final destination. Our legs are rested and it's time to move on. We'll be leaving the TransAmerica Trail, so I'm guessing that we'll be seeing less cyclists, but you never know. The road goes on forever and it's hard to predict what will happen.



Yosemite is the goal. Jake and I will be meeting friends there: Travis, Hilary, Matt, Mary, Dave, and maybe even a few others. Yosemite is one of my all-time favorite places. I try to go there every year or two. It's just one of those places--totally unique, nothing else like it in the world. I love the huge walls and the granite mountains, the Sierra sun and the waterfalls. The Natural Beauty is strong there. Camp 4 is legendary and awesome. The spirits exploration and adventure are alive and well. And that's why we're commuting there.





Last night was our last night in Jackson. We cooked a big meal and Jennifer, Kathy, Jake, and I relaxed here at Jennifer's home. Kathy asked me about our bike tour, wondering about our motivation for riding. I explained that I love Yosemite, and that we'll be meeting friends there, and that these bike tour plans have been on the table for over seven months. I also said that bicycle touring is a very natural way for me to travel, and that this tour just kind of made sense: leave from Longmont, Jake's home, and ride to Yosemite, a place we both know and love. And in the process, we could see some new and interesting things along the way. We could also exercise, relax, eat, and take lots of photographs--something both Jake and I love to do.

I'm looking forward to getting back on the road. Jennifer's kindness and hospitality has been truly amazing, but we still have many miles to cover. It's time to pull up our roots and get back in the saddle. I'm ready to move. Ready to see the world through the fresh eyes of motion. Ready to feel the wind and the soreness and the joy that comes from riding over this large and fragrant land.

No comments: