Saturday, July 4, 2009

Luck of the Tour

Sometimes you get lucky. Good Fortune picks up the phone and randomly dials your number. The signs and the symbols both point in the Right Direction. The angles line up. The plot thickens. And the drama becomes real.

It was Thursday, July second. Jake and I rode toward the town of Jackson, Wyoming. Jake was up ahead, as he normally is. When I approached him, he was waiting beside the road, next to his rig, drinking a Dr. Pepper. I pulled up and parked next to him. Less than a minute later, a car pulled up behind us and parked off the side of the road. I looked at the driver. She opened the door. "Jennifer Wolf!" I said.
"Hey! Jeff! It's you! I saw the beard and the orange shirt and I had to stop--I can't believe it's you!"
"Wow, yeah, incredible. Good to see you--this is so crazy, wow--which way are you headed?"
"Toward town," said Jennifer.
"Us too," I said, as the cars kept whizzing by.
"Well," said Jennifer, "you guys wanna go have a beer or something?"
"Sure, yeah, where should we go?"
"The brew bub is good. Just go down into town, right on Broadway, left on Millward."
"Yeah, perfect. We'll meet you there in like half an hour or something."

And from that moment on, Jennifer Wolf has been our host and our guide to the wonderful worlds of Jackson and the Grand Teton National Park. I hadn't seen Jennifer since the 2007 Bike Tour, when Janice and I met her in the park, but I was very happy to see her again.

Jake and I met Jennifer at the Snake River Brew Pub. Jennifer invited her friends Kathy and Paul, and that's when the celebrations began. (In the photo, from left to right: Paul, Kathy, Jennifer, Me, and Jake.)

No comments: