Monday, August 6, 2007

Abraham Lincoln's Birthplace and The Lincoln Jamboree

At this place, on 12 February 1809, Abraham Lincoln was born.













I arrived here after a long day of riding. (The birthplace monument is near Hodgenville, Kentucky.) I walked up the steps and went inside. Inside there was an old log cabin. It was strange to see a building inside of another building. I stood there and stared for a few seconds. Over in the left hand corner, sitting behind a desk, a pretty park ranger was reading a book. I walked over to her. "Is this the actual cabin where Abe was born?" I asked. "No," she said, "but this one is probably very similar." "What year was Abe born," I asked. "1809," she said, like it was a reflex. "Have you ever been to the Lincoln Jamboree?" I asked. "No," she said. "Well I'm going tonight," I said. "I was up at Joel Ray's place, and I was looking at all the stuff they have in there--it's like a country music museum--and these really nice people offered to buy me a ticket. So I'm going. I think it's gonna be cool. This guy, Joel Ray, has been doing these shows every Saturday night for like 53 years!" "Yeah," said the ranger, "I've heard about that place, I've just never made it up there for a show." "Well," I said, "there's a show tonight..."



Inside those doors is a big room with lots of seats and a stage. That's the place where the Lincoln Jamboree happens.







I never did see the ranger at the show, but I did see Jerry and Bobbie, the kind people from Lexington who bought me a ticket. I sat next to them as Joel Ray and the band entertained the large crowd. Joel Ray was the emcee and in between songs he told stories and jokes. There were songs I knew and songs I didn't know. The drummer in the band, Charles Durham, had been playing in the band for over 50 years! They played "Will The Circle Be Unbroken," and "Rocky Top." A guest singer sang "Coal Miner's Daughter." There was an instrumental version of John Hartford's classic "Gentle On My Mind." The crowd cheered after the singer asked, "Does anyone here like Elvis?" The singer went on to sing "My Way." It was a good show and a really incredible place. A life size poster of Hank Williams watched over all those who went by. One of Elvis's stage suits stood in a glass case. Photographs of Elvis and Johnny Cash were everywhere. There were articles, and photos, and posters of country and bluegrass stars. Bill Monroe. Ernest Tubb. Dolly Parton. Roy Acuff. There were old records and autographed guitars. It was quite a place. I felt very lucky to be there on a Saturday Night, to witness a real, live Lincoln Jamboree.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Jeff...we are looking forward to your homecoming and have so enjoyed your journal and pics.

One comment about the Lincoln birthplace stop...if the 1909 birthdate is not a typo then that pretty park range was a bit tongue tied chatting with you!

Much love, see you soon...Sheila