Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Power of Thunder

It's raining now, a thunderstorm. I'm sitting in my room, writing, working on my laptop which makes me feel good because even if we loose power, I can keep going. That's one of the nice things about laptops, the automatic power backup that comes built in. But I don't want to dwell on such trivial things as laptops and computers. No, the power of this storm is what prompted me to log on and add to this blog.

The rain is coming down hard. Tons of water--those little drops really add up. I look out and see the rain coming down sideways, just for a time. Now it's falling mostly straight down. Marley doesn't mind at all. I hear him drinking downstairs. Noisy laps from his bowl of water. We're lucky he's not the kind of dog that freaks out when it storms. We're lucky for many reasons.

It's nice to be able to write in the rain. A home gives protection, something we all need at some point. I guess I could still write in the rain if I was outside in a tent. Tents are good portable shelter, and I've spent many hundreds of evenings and nights curled up in a tent. I've written hundreds of journal pages during my tent time. Tents are good for writing because you're outside, hearing and smelling and seeing, but you're still protected. Although tent walls don't really stop the sound waves. Thunder is much louder when you're in a tent.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to step away from the computer for a few minutes . . .

. . . Well okay, I'm back in my writing room with a wet head and back. I had to help my mother bring some young seedlings inside. They were on the back porch, getting some sun, but the rain was too hard for them. Why punish when you can protect?

Philip called me this morning (this is turning into a journal entry here) and I was thankful for the call because he was just in Yosemite--and so we talked about that--and I mentioned how I was just polishing up some Yosemite writing myself. It's good to be connected.

Well, that's enough for this post. I must channel some of this storm energy and keep the wordflow going.

No comments: