Friday, November 27, 2009

Feeling Thankful

Well it's Thanksgiving 2009, and I'm feeling thankful. I started thinking about this post earlier in the day while I was out on a bike ride. I went out in the morning before the feast. I needed to get some exercise. I rode around a nearby neighborhood where the air smells okay--better than the busy roads. Just a quick ride, about ten or fifteen minutes, because I wanted to get home and help with the preparations.

As I was nearing the end of my ride, I saw a one-dollar bill on the ground, on top of some leaves, by the right side of the road, in front of a house. For a quick second I thought about stopping to get it. But I never stopped pedaling. Forget that soggy dollar, I told myself, you don't need that now. Besides, I liked the idea of riding past cash on a cool and misty thanksgiving morning. If it was a twenty or more, would I have stopped? Good question. I like to think I would have taken a larger bill up to the door of the closest house. Or maybe used it to make a donation.

But it was only a one-dollar bill and I left it there for some other creature to find. I went home, with feasting and celebrating on my mind. Janice and Chris were also home, and we all helped as our mother prepared the meal. Then we ate. Everything was wonderful. I had my first tofu turkey, which I enjoyed very much.

As I sit in my room late on this Thanksgiving night, I am feeling good and thankful--thankful for my health and my family and friends and some work that I enjoy doing. I'm looking forward to being with my father and my grandparents and the rest of my family this coming weekend. The celebration must continue!

Mahalo.

No comments: