Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Down By Baker Beach

Today was the day Chris and Kyle finished their bike tour. Over three months of biking. Three months of sleeping outside, and riding under the sun, and meeting new and interesting people. From Yorktown, Virginia to San Francisco--93 days and and over 4,300 miles--you guys made it! Congratulations!

Monday evening in San Francisco: Chris Mentzer and Kyle Sherman walked their bikes down to Baker Beach and touched the Pacific, that great western body of water. Jamie Morganstern was there, taking photos and bearing witness to a rare moment in time.

I wish I could have been there, but a phone call was made, and I did my celebrating on the other side of the country. Drinking some Anchor Steam would have been appropriate, but all I had were a few cans of National Bohemian. And so I drank them down and stared our my window into the Maryland night, trying to remember the magic of the California Coast and the deep-rooted goodness that is there at the end of long journey.

Little did I know that thirty one days later I'd be standing on that very same beach with Jamie Morganstern looking out over the ocean and into the West.

No comments: