Wednesday, April 29, 2009

National Arboretum

My mom and I went to the National Arboretum on Sunday. Marley came too. It was a warm and sunny day, a perfect day to soak in the wonders of springtime.


The symphony of Springtime has been building for some time now, and I can feel the music moving toward its triumphant crescendo. Here are some photos from the arboretum, which is a place for the study and exhibition of trees.


My mom had been to the arboretum before, so she made sure I saw the amazing bonsai collection that was there. The bonsai captivated me. Unlike many normal-sized trees that grow to be very tall, the bonsai are much easier to photograph in their entirety. They are tremendous little trees, and some of them are hundreds of years old. (The cactus-shaped tree is not a bonsai.)

This Japanese white pine is over 400 years old.
Ginkgo biloba (also from the Japanese Collection).
California juniper








These columns, which were once in front of the Capitol, were brought out of storage and set in place at the arboretum, creating an interesting space that begs to be photographed.


1 comment:

Chris Mentzer said...

looks like spring is in full bloom I'm excited to see you when I come back. Love,

chris