Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Time To Wear The Old Watch

This photo is from May 15, 2007. It was taken in the morning, right after Janice and I woke up and right before we left for the airport. Our bike tour was about to begin.

I'm wearing this same watch right now. I have it on my right wrist. And in just a few minutes, the time on my wrist will match the time in this photo. I guess it's a manufactured coincidence, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying it.

I normally don't wear a watch, but yesterday morning I dusted off the old watch and put it on. I've been busy the last couple days, trying to get things done, and I found the watch to be useful. Later today, in approximately 12 hours, I will leave for the airport with my mother Monica and my brother Chris. When our plane leaves the ground we will be headed to Spain. After we land in Madrid, we will meet Janice and also our friend Heather. Then it's vacation time! Ah, the sweet sound of Vacation. It's one of the most beautiful and moving words in the English language. When you breath deep, and say it slowly, you can feel it down in your toes. I'm excited and happy that we'll get to travel for 2 weeks in Spain.

I just looked at my wrist. Nine more minutes until the time on the watches matches the time in the photo. That gives me time to finish this post, and maybe reread it a couple times.

So you may be wondering about the watch in the picture. What brand is it? Good question. I've been all over that watch, and there's no brand. It says "Alarm Chrono" and also "Chrono Alarm." I bought the watch two years at one of the big box stores outside of Denver, CO. Travis and I were driving west, across the country, and I felt the need to add a portable timepiece to my life. And now, two years later, I'm surprised that the watch is still working. I carried the watch on the John Muir Trail. And I brought it with me last summer on my bike tour. And it still works great.

On the day I bought my watch, as I was standing in the checkout line, I wondered if "A cheap watch is a waste of time," or if "An expensive watch is a waste of time." Which statement is more true? I don't know. One could argue with both statements. Those are simple statements but they could be explored, or perhaps proved, with complex equations. Of course it all depends how you define those words.

But you know what they say about the shoe: if it fits, wear it. And it was Bob Marley who used to sing, "Who the cap fit, let them wear it." Well as long as my watch is still working, I guess I'll keep wearing it. What if I wore it after it stopped working? That would just be weird, but don't put it past me. Darn it! I got carried away writing and I missed the time coincidence that I was going to celebrate at 3:55:36am.

No comments: