Sunday, April 13, 2008

Going Barefoot

Today I bared my feet. I was barefoot for almost all of the day. And if you know me, you will know this is not usually the case. Like many people, I wear shoes. I like the way they feel, especially after they are worn in. I like the way they cushion hard surfaces. I like the traction, warmth, security, and freedom that comes from wearing them.

But I also see the beauty of going barefoot. So today I rolled up my corduroy pants and felt the carpet and the grass and the cold linoleum tile beneath my feet. Why was today a barefoot kind of day? It probably had something to do with the coming of spring. When the weather is warm my feet are less likely to be cold. I don't like cold feet. They distract me and make me feel strange.

Many people, including me, wear sandals. But (as some of you already know) sandals make me lazy, so I normally try to avoid them.

Here's to barefoot days, and beaches, and a good pair of shoes when you need them.

(Oh yeah, in case you're wondering: I took this photograph during last summer's bike tour, on the beach in Pacific City, Oregon.)

No comments: